We identify our equipment for simplifying its maintenance and managing its movements inside the institute. We use a code that informs quickly about the main specifications. For the sticks applying electric fields, here is the way we define the code:
- the leading two or three digits denotes internal ILL order number. This number is incremented each time a new device is made available.
- the first and second letters denote the code of the manufacturer as follows:
- IL: ILL Cryostat
- The following letters denote the code of the refrigerant mode for a cryostat and the code of the application:
- EV: Electric field applied vertically
- EH: electric field applied horizontally
- The last digits indicate the maximum sample diameter in mm.
For example, the cryostat 210ILEV49 is the 210th device introduced at the ILL. It is designed and built by our staff (code IL), applies a vertical electric field (code EV) and provides Ø49 mm access to the sample.