We assign an identifier to our equipment in order to simplify its maintenance and manage its movements inside the Institute. We use a code that tells us quickly about the main specifications. For gas sorption analysers and injection sticks, here is the way we define the code:
- the leading two or three digits denote the internal ILL order number. This number is incremented each time a new device is made available,
- the first and second letters denote the code of the manufacturer as follows:
- IL: ILL Stick or sorption controller
- HI: Hiden Isochema
- for sorption analysers, a digit is added to reflect the number of gases that can be mixed,
- the following letters denote the code of the sorption mode:
- VA: Volumetric sorption analysis
- GI: low-pressure gas injection
- HP: high pressure gas injection (above 200 bar)
- the last digits indicate the maximum sample diameter in mm for a stick and the maximum pressure for a sorption analyser.
For example, the injection stick 184ILHP49 is the 184th item of equipment introduced at the ILL. It was designed and built by our staff (code IL), withholds high pressure injections (code HP) and fits within a Ø49 mm Orange cryostat.