We assign an identifier to our equipment in order to simplify its maintenance and manage its movements inside the Institute.
We use a code that tells us quickly about the main specifications. For gas sorption analysers and injection sticks, here is the way we define the code:
- the leading few digits denote the internal ILL order number.
This number is incremented each time a new device is made available.
- the first and second letters denote the code of the device type as follows:
- AT: Adsorption troughs
- BC: Heated/refrigerated bath circulator
- DC: Dialysis cell
- HC: Humidity chamber
- LL: Liquid-liquid interface cell
- LT: Langmuir troughs
- OC: Overflowing cylinder
- RR: Rheometer
- SA: Shear apparatus (Couette)
- SC: Size-exclusion chromatography
- SF: Stopped-flow devices
- SL: Solid-liquid cell
- SP: In-situ spectroscopy
- TR: Tumbling rack
- the next two letters indicate the nature of the material in the beam (the most important one):
- AL: Aluminium
- KT: Kapton
- QZ: Quartz glass
- The last digits indicate:
- the maximum sample width in mm for a humidity chamber, a stopped-flow device.
- the neutron path length in mm for a liquid-liquid interface cell, a trough.