Bikes, scooters, and more

There are many options for environmentally friendly transport!

Grenoble has a vibrant (even passionate!) bike culture. The city and its suburbs encourage the use of alternative modes of transport, and Grenoble is continuing to promote cycling and develop its network of cycle paths. 

  • MVELO+, operated by the greater urban authority, is a rental scheme for city bikes of all sizes, as well as foldable bikes, cargo bikes and tandems at reasonable rates from a daily to an annual basis (including a basket, lock and helmet).

Good to know: Under certain conditions, the ILL will subsidise your MVELO+ monthly bike rental or contribute towards bike repair and maintenance.


  • Scooters, electric bikes libre-service

DOTTrents electric scooters and bicycles with designated pick-up and drop-off points around the city.  Download the app, create an account and book a bike which you can find throughout Grenoble, Meylan and the university campus in St Martin d’Heres.



Buses and trams

Grenoble has a large network of buses and five tram lines operated by M TAG (Transports de l'Agglomération Grenobloise).  The ILL is just a five-minute walk from the terminus of the tram B line, Grenoble Oxford”, where buses C6, T64 and 54 also stop.

Tickets can be purchased at the tram stops or by texting “1h” to 93123. Monthly passes can be purchased at one of the M Tag Agence de Mobilité.


For more information:


M Tag network map:

Download the smartphone app:

Visit an Agence de Mobilité

Centre-Ville:  49-51, avenue Alsace-Lorraine in Grenoble



The train network in France is run by the SNCF and the ILL is located just three trams stops (or a five-minute drive) from the main train station, Grenoble Gares.

TGV: high-speed trains connecting Grenoble to most major French cities

TER:  local train service for commuting to suburban towns and cities such as Saint Égrève, Echirolles, Gières, Voiron, Chambery, and Lyon.

For more information

Regional (TER) services

SNCF national and international services:


Air transportation

Three international airports serve Grenoble:

Ride-sharing services are another option with pick-up points set by the driver


and buses -



Regional transportation

cars Region (regional buses) link metropolitan Grenoble to suburban areas as well as to North Isère and most rural communes, and unites the former networks Transisere and Carsisere.

More info:

Bike on board:

Transaltitude buses run services from Grenoble to several ski resorts in Isère during the winter:

Good to know: Certain buses are equipped with bike carriers


Carpooling, ride sharing networks

There are several carpooling networks to choose from depending on where you live. For most, you sign up online and search for your journey or post a request.

  • Local ridesharing

Covoiturage 38  - operates in Grenoble and its suburbs

Covoiturage Caesug – Operates in the Presqu’ile Scientifique (includes ILL site), the university campus in Saint Martin d’Heres and the hospital campus in La Tronche

M covoit' Lignes+: Spontaneous ridesharing pickup points

M covoit' RDV: ridesharing operating in Grenoble, Echirolles et Moirans/Voreppe 

  • Regional and national carpool networks 


Mobicoop – cooperative model which doesn’t charge commission -


Driving in France

All drivers in France must hold a valid driving license, as well as the vehicle registration certificate (carte grise), an insurance certificate and an air quality certificate for the same vehicle.

A valid driver’s license:

Depending on whether the original license is from a country in or outside the EU, certain conditions determine whether your license is valid in France and if you can exchange your driver’s license for a French driver’s license.  

Your driver’s license was issued in an EU country (or in the UK before 2021) – You are allowed to drive in France for one year after your arrival as long as your license is valid and you satisfy certain conditions.

If your license has expired, you will need to exchange it for a French license.

Your driver’s license was issued by a non-EU country  If a reciprocal agreement has been signed between France and that country, and if you meet certain conditions, you may drive for one year after you become resident in France before you need to exchange your license for a French license. 

If there is no agreement between France and the country that issued your license, you will need to pass a French driver’s test to obtain a French license.

For more information:

Driving in France with a European license:

List of countries with reciprocal agreements with France:

Exchanging a non-EU driving license:

Online process to exchange a foreign driver’s license for a French license:



Vehicle registration (carte grise):

If you bring a vehicle from abroad, you have one month to register it and obtain a carte grise. The registration fee will depend on the characteristics of the vehicle and the address of its owner. Vehicles can be registered online by owners, but persons born outside of France do not have the INSEE number required to complete the process online. See below for a list of garages certified to register vehicles for a fee. 

For more information (in French):

List of certified garages:


Online registration process*: 


Technical inspection

In France, all motor vehicles must pass a technical inspection (contrôle technique) within six months of the vehicle's fourth year, and every two years thereafter. The test is obligatory and failure to present the vehicle for the inspection can lead to a heavy fine. A local garage can tell you the nearest place to go for the test.

More information about the contrôle technique is available at

Air quality certificates

Some towns require motorists to display a sticker (vignette) on their vehicles showing how it is classed in terms of emissions. Prefectures may restrict driving during periods of peak pollution. For more information, see

Electric car charging

There are four charging stations for electric vehicles on site next to the ILL in the Chartreuse parking lot of the ESRF and managed by Ze-Watt. For access, create an individual account at and write EPN when registering your institute name. You will be billed monthly by Ze-Watt.

Several different networks operate charging stations around Grenoble and throughout France, including Ionity, Corri-door, Allego, and Newmotion. In most cases, you connect and pay using a card or an app. The Chargemap Pass allows universal access to various charging station networks


More guides to transportation options in and around Grenoble:

International Student and Scholar Office:

Grenoble tourism: