We assign an identifier to our equipment in order to simplify its maintenance and manage its movements inside the Institute. We use a code that tells us quickly about the main specifications. For the sticks applying electric fields, here is the way we define the code:
- the leading two or three digits denote the internal ILL order number. This number is incremented each time a new device is made available.
- the first and second letters denote the code of the manufacturer as follows:
- IL: ILL Cryostat
- The following letters denote the code of the refrigerant mode for a cryostat and the code of the application:
- EV: Electric field applied vertically
- EH: electric field applied horizontally
- The last digits indicate the maximum sample diameter in mm.
For example, the cryostat 210ILEV49 is the 210th device introduced at the ILL. It was designed and built by our staff (code IL), applies a vertical electric field (code EV) and provides Ø49 mm access to the sample.