- Prof. at Univ. Grenoble Alpes (UGA) and researcher at ILL
- Member of subcommittee of college 8 at ILL
- Deputy Director of the Doctoral College at UGA in charge of International Relations
I have a background in theoretical and experimental physics and have been working in the field of biophysics for several years. For this purpose, I apply neutron scattering to biological samples. We study molecular dynamics and structure at the atomic level and try to relate them to the functionality of biological systems.
In particular, I am interested in biological systems living under extreme conditions of temperature, pressure or pH and their adaptation to such an environment. These aspects are also of interest for a better understanding of the development of organisms at the origin of life.
Another project is studying the effect of inhibitors on the dynamics and structure of certain enzymes that are of particular importance for Alzheimer's disease. Inhibitors can slow down the course of the disease, but the reason for these effects is not yet well understood.
A more recent project concerns the study of cold denaturation of proteins, i.e. at low temperatures. This transition is known, but the consequences are not yet well understood, although it could have an important impact on the preservation of nutrients and drugs.
- N. Martinez, M. Trovaslet, K. Scannapieco, M. Weik, M.M. Koza, P. Masson, F. Nachon, J. Peters, Human Acetylcholinesterase complexed with the non-covalent Huperzine A and the covalent Soman Inhibitor, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 18 (2016), 12992 – 13001.
- B. Aoun, E. Pelligrini, M. Trapp, L. Cantu, Y. Gerelli, B. Demé, M.M. Koza, P. Brocca, M. Johnson, F. Natali, and J. Peters, DMPC model lipids: a confrontation between experiment and simulations, Eur. Phys. J. E39 (2016), 1 - 10.
- N. Martinez, G. Michoud, A. Cario, J. Ollivier, B. Franzetti, M. Jebbar, P. Oger, J. Peters, High protein flexibility and reduced hydration water dynamics are key pressure adaptive strategies in prokaryotes, Scientific Reports 6 (2016), 32816.
- G. Zaccaï, F. Natali, J. Peters, M. Rihova, M. Zimmerman, J. Ollivier, J. Combet, M.C. Maurel, A. Bashan, A. Yonath, Exploring the fluctuating ribosome: thermal molecular dynamics characterized by neutron scattering, Scientific Reports 6 (2016), 37138.
- M. Trovaslet-Leroy, N. Martinez, J. Marion, J. Peters, Hautes pressions et dynamique des systèmes biologiques, Chapitre dans: Mesures en conditions extrêmes, 2016, Archives contemporaines.
- L. Misuraca, F. Natali, L. Da Silva, J. Peters, B. Demé, J. Ollivier, T. Seydel, V. Laux, M. Haertlein, G. Zaccai, D. Deamer, M. C. Maurel, Mobility of a mononucleotide within a lipid matrix: A neutron scattering study, Life 7 (2017) 2.
- M. Golub, B. Lehofer, N. Martinez, J. Ollivier, J. Kohlbrecher, R. Prassl, J. Peters, High hydrostatic pressure specifically affects molecular dynamics and shape of low-density lipoprotein particles, Scientific Reports 7 (2017), 46034.
- S.R. Al-Ayoubi, P.H. Schummel, M. Golub, J. Peters, R. Winter, Influence of Cosolvents, Self-Crowding, Temperature and Pressure on the Sub-Nanosecond Dynamics and Folding Stability of Lysozyme, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 19 (2017), 14230 – 14237.
- E. Lelièvre-Berna, J. Gonthier, J.-P. Gonzales, J. Maurice, Y. Memphis, C. Payre, J. Peters and S. Vial, 700 MPa sample stick for studying liquid samples or solid-gas reactions down to 1.5 K and up to 550 K, J. Neutr. Res. 19 (2017), 77–84.
- J. Peters, J. Marion, F. Natali, E. Kats, D.J. Bicout, The dynamical transition of lipid multi-lamellar bilayers studied as a matter of cooperativity, J. Chem. Phys. B 121 (2017), 6860 – 6868.
- J. Peters, N. Martinez, B. Lehofer, R. Prassl, Low-density lipoproteins investigated under high hydrostatic pressure by elastic incoherent neutron scattering, Eur. Phys. J. E 40 (2017) 68, 1-6.
- C. D. Andersson, N. Martinez, D. Zeller, S. H. Rondahl, M. M. Koza, B. Frick, F. Ekström, J. Peters, and A. Linusson, Changes in dynamics of α-chymotrypsin due to covalent inhibitors investigated by elastic incoherent neutron scattering, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 19 (2017), 25369 – 25379.
- J. Peters, J. Marion, F.J. Becher, M. Trapp, T. Gutberlet, D.J. Bicout, T. Heimburg, Thermodynamics of lipid large unilamellar vesicles in presence of sterols at high hydrostatic pressure, Scientific Reports 7 (2017) 15339.
- S. Cinar, S. Al-Ayoubi, C. Sternemann, J. Peters, R. Winter, C. Czeslik, High pressure study of calmodulin ligand interactions by small angle X-ray and elastic incoherent neutron scattering, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 20 (2018), 3514 - 3522.
- F. Librizzi, R. Carrotta, J. Peters and A. Cupane, Pressure effects on the Protein Dynamical Transition, Scientific Reports 8 (2018) 2037.
- M. Guiral, C. Neitzel, M. Salvador Castell, N. Martinez, M.T. Giudici-Orticoni, J. Peters, The effect of pH on the dynamics of natural membranes, Eur. Phys. J. E 41 (2018), 22, 1 – 8.
- Sanz, H. Wase Hansen, B. Jakobsen, Ib H. Pedersen, S. Capaccioli, K. Adrjanowicz, M. Paluch, J. Gonthier, B. Frick, J. Peters, E. Lelièvre-Berna, and K. Niss, High pressure setup for simultaneous quasi-inelastic neutron scattering and dielectric spectroscopy, Rev. Sc. Instr. 89 (2018) 023904, 1 - 9.
- J. Peters, M. Golub, B. Demé, J. Gonthier, J. Maurice, C. Payre, R. Sadykov and E. Lelièvre-Berna, New pressure cells for membrane layers and systems in solutions up to 100° C, J. Neutr. Res. 20 (2018), 3 – 12.
- B. Lehofer, M. Golub, K. Kornmueller, M. Kriechbaum, N. Martinez, G. Nagy, J. Kohlbrecher, H. Amenitsch, J. Peters, and R. Prassl, High Hydrostatic Pressure Induces a Lipid Phase Transition and Molecular Rearrangements in Low-Density Lipoprotein Nanoparticles, Particle and Particle Systems Characterization (2018), 1800149.
- M. Golub, N. Martinez, G. Michoud, J. Ollivier, M. Jebbar, P. Oger and J. Peters, The effect of crowding on protein stability, rigidity and high pressure sensitivity in whole cells, Langmuir 34 (2018) 10419 – 10425.
- Denisson, F. Natali, E. Farhi, G. Manzin, P. Courtois, J. Peters, IN13 Neutron Guide and Primary Spectrometer Upgrade, Nuclear Inst. and Methods in Physics Research A908 (2018), 182 – 188.
- C.D. Andersson, N. Martinez, D. Zeller, A. Allgardsson, M. M. Koza, B. Frick, F. Ekström, J. Peters, and A. Linusson, The Influence of Enantiomeric Inhibitors on the Dynamics of Acetylcholinesterase Measured by Elastic Incoherent Neutron Scattering, J. Phys. Chem. B122 (2018), 8516 – 8525.
- J. Peters, R. Prassl, P. Oger, Probing the structure and dynamics of cells, cell components and endogenous nanoparticles under extreme conditions with neutrons, Chapitre dans: Biological, Physical and Technical Basics of Cell Engineering, éditeurs : A.T. Artmann, I.E. Digel, G.M. Artmann, K. Pfannkuche, 2018, Springer, 401 – 420.
- D. Zeller, M. T. F. Telling, M. Zamponi, V. Garcia Sakai, and J. Peters, Analysis of elastic incoherent neutron scattering data beyond the Gaussian Approximation, J. Chem. Phys. 149 (2018), 234908.
- R. Ashkar, H. Bilheux, H. N. Bordallo, R. Briber, X. Cheng, X-Q. Chu, J. Curtis, M. Dadmun, P. Fenimore, F. Gabel, K. Gupta, F. Heberle, F. Heinrich, L. Hong, J. Katsaras, Z. Kelma, E. Kharlampieva, G. Kneller, A. Kovelevski, S. Krueger, P. Langan, R. Libermann, Y. Liu, M. Loesche, J. Marino, C. Mattos, F. Meilleur, P. Moody, J. Nickels, H. O’Neill, J. Peters, L. Petridis, J.C. Smith, A. Sokolov, N. Wagner, Y. Zhang, Progress and Prospects for Neutron Scattering in the Biological Sciences, Acta Cryst. D74 (2018), 1129 – 1168.
- L. Kangur, K. Timpmann, D. Zeller, P. Masson, J. Peters and A. Freiberg, Structural Stability of Human Butyrylcholinesterase under High Hydrostatic Pressure, BBA – Proteins and Proteomics 1867 (2019), 107 – 113.
- M. Golub, J. Pieper, J. Peters, L. Kangur, E. Martin, C. Hunter, and A. Freiberg, Picosecond Dynamical Response to a Pressure-Induced Break of the Tertiary Structure Hydrogen Bonds in a Membrane Chromoprotein, J. Phys. Chem. B123 (2019), 2087 - 2093.
- M. Golub, V. Guillon, G. Gotthard, D. Zeller, N. Martinez, T. Seydel, M.M.Koza, C. Lafaye, D. Clavel, D. v. Stetten, A. Royant and J. Peters, Dynamics of a family of cyan fluorescent proteins probed by incoherent neutron scattering, Journal of the Royal Society Interface 16 (2019), 20180848.
- M. Saouessi, J. Peters, and G. R. Kneller, Asymptotic analysis of quasielastic neutron scattering data from human Acetylcholinesterase reveals subtle dynamical changes upon ligand binding, Journal of Chemical Physics 150 (2019), 161104.
- S. R. Al-Ayoubi, P. H. Schummel, A. Cisse, T. Seydel, J. Peters, and R. Winter, Osmolytes Modify Protein Dynamics and Function of Tetrameric Lactate Dehydrogenase upon Pressurization, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 21 (2019), 12806 - 12817.
- F. Natali, C. Dolce, J. Peters, C. Stelletta, B. Demé, J. Ollivier, M. Boehm, G. Leduc, I. Piazza, A. Cupane, E. L. Barbier, Anomalous water dynamics in brain: a combined diffusion Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Neutron Scattering investigation, Journal of the Royal Society Interface 16 (2019), 20190186.
- M. Saouessi, J. Peters, and G. R. Kneller, Frequency domain modeling of quasielastic neutron scattering from hydrated protein powders: Application to free and inhibited human Acetylcholinesterase, Journal of Chemical Physics 151 (2019), 125103.
- M. Salvador Castell, M. Golub, N. Martinez, J. Ollivier, M. Jebbar, J. Peters and P. Oger, First study of osmolytes impact in whole cells of high temperature-adapted microrganisms, Soft Matter 15 (2019) 8381 - 8391.
- F. Natali, C. Dolce, J. Peters, C. Stelletta, B. Demé, J. Ollivier, G. Leduc, A. Cupane, E. L. Barbier, Brain lateralization probed by water diffusion at atomic-to-micrometric scale, Scientific Reports 9 (2019) 14694.
- M. Salvador Castell, N. Brooks, J. Peters and P. Oger, Induction of non-lamellar phases in archaeal lipids at high temperature and high hydrostatic pressure by apolar polyisoprenoids, BBA - Biomembranes 1862 (2020) 183130, 1 – 7.
- V. Gogonea, J. Peters, G.S. Gerstenecker, C. Topbas, L. Hou, J. Combet, J.A. DiDonato, K.-A. Rye, S.L. Hazen, Protein Dynamics of nascent and spherical HDL probed by hydrogen deuterium exchange and elastic incoherent neutron scattering, Biomolecules 10 (2020), 121, 1 - 25.
- M. Salvador Castell, J. Peters, P. Oger, High pressure adaptation in extremophiles and biotechnological adaptations, Chapitre dans: Physiological and Biotechnological Aspects of Extremophiles, 2020, Elsevier.
- D. Zeller, P. Tan, L. Hong, D. Di Bari, V. Garcia Sakai, J. Peters, Differences between calcium rich and depleted alpha-Lactalbumin investigated by molecular dynamics simulations and incoherent neutron scattering, Phys. Rev. E 101 (2020) 032415.
- M. Salvador Castell, B. Demé, P. Oger and J. Peters, Structural characterization of an archaeal-like lipid bilayer as function of hydration and temperature, Int. Journ. Mol. Sciences 21 (2020) 1816, 1-12.
- A. Colas de la Noue, F. Natali, F. Fekraoui, P. Gervais, N. Martinez, J.M. Perrier-Cornet, J. Peters, The molecular dynamics of bacterial spore and the role of calcium dipicolinate in core properties at the sub-nanosecond time-scale, Scientific Reports 10 (2020) 8265, 1 – 14.
- A. Cisse, G. Lazzara, J. Peters, L. Chiappisi, PyDSC: A simple tool to treat differential scanning calorimetry data, J. Therm. Analysis and Calorimetry (2020) 1 - 7.
- M. Salvador Castell, B. Demé, P. Oger, J. Peters, Squalane Lipid Phase Separation Induced by the Apolar Polyisoprenoid Squalane Demonstrates Its Role in Membrane Domain Formation in Archaeal Membranes, Langmuir 36 (2020) 7375−7382.
- J.G. LoRicco, M. Salvador-Castell1, B. Demé, J. Peters, P.M. Oger, Apolar polyisoprenoids located in the midplane of the membrane bilayer regulate the response of an archaeal-like membrane to high T/P, Frontiers in Chemistry 8 (2020), 594039, 1 - 11.
- L. Misuraca, A. Caliò, I. Grillo, A. Grelard, P. Oger, J. Peters, B. Demé, High Temperature Behaviour of Early Life Membrane Models, Langmuir 36 (2020) 13516-13526.
- S. Lushchekina, G. Inidjel, N. Martinez, P. Masson, M. Trovaslet-Leroy, F. Nachon, M. M. Koza, T. Seydel, and J. Peters, Impact of osmotic stress on molecular dynamics of mouse acetylcholinesterase, Biomolecules 10 (2020) 1664.
- L. Misuraca, B. Demé, P. Oger, J. Peters, Alkanes increase the stability of early life membrane models under extreme pressure and temperature conditions, Comm. Chem. 4 (2021) 24.
- M. Salvador Castell, M. Golub, N. Erwin, B. Demé, N. Brooks, R. Winter, J. Peters & P. Oger, Characterisation of a synthetic Archaeal membrane reveals a possible new adaptation route to extreme conditions, Comm. Biology 4 (2021) 653.
- M. Salvador-Castell, N.J. Brooks, R. Winter, J. Peters and P. Oger, Non-Polar Lipids as Regulators of Membrane Properties in Archaeal Lipid Bilayer Mimics, Int. J. Mol. Sc. 22 (2021) 6087, 1 – 11.
- A. Cisse, A. Marquette, M. Altangerel, J. Peters, B. Bechinger, Investigation of the Action of Peptides on Lipid Membranes, J. Phys. Chem. B125 (2021) 10213 - 10223.
- J. Wolanin, L. Michel, D. Tabacchioni, J. M. Zanotti, J. Peters, I. Imaz, B. Coasne, M. Plazanet, C. Picard, Heterogeneous Microscopic Dynamics of Intruded Water in a Superhydrophobic Nanoconfinement: Neutron Scattering and Molecular Modeling, J. Phys. Chem B125 (2021) 10392 - 10399.
- A. Cisse, A.-L. Schachner-Nedherer, M. Appel, C. Beck, J. Ollivier, G. Leitinger, R. Prassl, K. Kornmueller, and Judith Peters, Dynamics of Apolipoprotein B-100 in Interaction with Detergent Probed by Incoherent Neutron Scattering, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 12 (2021) 12402−12410.
- J. Peters, High hydrostatic pressure – a key element to investigate molecular dynamics in biosystems, Frontiers in Physics – Biophysics 9 (2022) 801539.
- T. Matsuo, A. De Francesco and J. Peters, Molecular dynamics of lysozyme amyloid polymorphs studied by incoherent neutron scattering, Frontiers in Mol. Biosciences 8 (2022) 812096.
- L. Misuraca, A. Caliò, J. LoRicco, I. Hoffmann, R. Winter, B. Demé, J. Peters, P. Oger, Alkanes as membrane regulators of the response of early membranes to extreme temperatures, Life 12 (2022) 445, 1-17.
- D. J. Bicout, A. Cisse, T. Matsuo and J. Peters, The dynamical Matryoshka model: 1. Incoherent neutron scattering functions for lipid dynamics in bilayers, BBA – Biomembranes 1864 (2022) 183944, 1 – 19.
- A. Cisse, T. Matsuo, M. Plazanet, F. Natali, M. M. Koza, J. Ollivier, D. J. Bicout, and J. Peters, The dynamical Matryoshka model: 2. Modeling of local lipid dynamics at the sub-nanosecond timescale in phospholipid membranes, BBA – Biomembranes 1864 (2022) 183950, 1 – 11.
- T. Matsuo, A. Cisse, M. Plazanet, F. Natali, M. M. Koza, J. Ollivier, D. J. Bicout, and J. Peters, The dynamical Matryoshka model: 3. Diffusive nature of the atomic motions contained in a new dynamical model for deciphering local lipid dynamics, BBA – Biomembranes 1864 (2022) 183949, 1-10.