Gerry retired at the end of 2005 as Director of the Institute for Transuranium Elements (an European Commission Laboratory) in Karlsruhe, Germany, and is now living in Grenoble. He has returned to doing science, at least part time!
His main interests are centered on the science of actinide (5f electrons) elements and compounds. He has used neutrons, both elastic and inelastic, and synchrotron x-rays.
He obtained his Ph. D at Cambridge University (with Jane Brown as supervisor!) many years ago and worked for 20 years at Argonne National Laboratory, where for the last 5 years (1981-1986) he was Director of the IPNS source. After that he went to ITU and spent 16 years there doing science before he again fell into administration. He has published over 400 papers, many from the ILL, where he first came on sabbatical in 1976. He has used, and published, from 16 instruments at the ILL, which if not a record might be close!
He was also the founding Editor of Neutron News, and did that job from 1989-2000.
- Magnetization density of 5f electrons in ferromagnetic PuSb
G.H. Lander et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 53, 2262 (1984)
- The structural and electronic properties of the element uranium - a historical perspective and review of our current understanding
G. H. Lander, E. S. Fisher, and S. D. Bader; Advances in Physics 43, 1-111 (1994)
- Magnetic sublattice interactions in UFe4Al8
J. A. Paixão et al., Phys. Rev. B 55, 14370 (1997)
- Enhancement of magnetic fluctuations on passing below Tc in the heavy fermion superconductor UPd2Al3
N. Bernhoeft et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 4244 (1998)
- Magnetic response function in the itinerant ferromagnet CeFe2
L. Paolasini et al. Phys. Rev. B 58, 12117 (1998)
- Magnetic excitations and dynamical Jahn-Teller distortions in UO2
R. Caciuffo et al., Phys. Rev. B 59, 13892 (1999)
- Neutron- and synchrotron-diffraction study of UPtGe
D. Mannix et al., Phys. Rev. B 62, 3801 (2000)
- Spin and orbital moments in itinerant magnets
A. Hiess et al., Europhysics Letters 55, 267 (2001)
- (U1-xPux)Sb solid solutions. I. Magnetic configurations
P. S. Normile et al., Phys. Rev. B 66, 014405 (2002)
- On the ground state of pure and doped CeFe2
L. Paolasini et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 057201 (2003)
- Spherical neutron polarimetry of anisotropic magnetic fluctuations in UO2
E. Blackburn et al., Phys. Rev. B 72, 184411 (2005)
- Magnetisation dynamics in the normal and superconducting phases of UPd2Al3
A. Hiess et al., J. Phys.: Cond. Matt. 18 R437-R451(2006) (Topical review)
- Fermi-surface topology and the superconducting gap function in UPd2Al3: a neutron spin-echo study
E. Blackburn et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 057002 (2006)