The ILL provides relocation and support services for new employees to assist them in settling in as comfortably as possible. We collaborate directly with two external relocation companies, E-mobilia and INT Mobility. Their bilingual relocation consultants are available to aid you in securing temporary accommodation, opening a bank account, and searching for a permanent residence.

Upon locating a suitable house or apartment, these consultants can assist you in negotiating a lease, obtaining rental insurance, and setting up utility accounts. It's important to note that the relocation consultants do not function as real estate agents and do not receive any fees from property owners or real estate agencies.

Short term accommodation

Marie Curie Residence* :

The Babel Community* :


For students and researchers- 

Residence Galilee – email

*ILL partners with special rates that can be booked through our relocation partners

For more information:

Local relocation companies


INT Mobility:


Specialised websites

You can also choose to look for a place to stay on your own. Most of the information you'll find is in French, but the websites listed below can help you understand the rental market and start your search.

Even if you find a flat by yourself, we encourage you to work with the relocation companies. They can review your rental agreement for legality, and help you with different paperwork.

Tip: The French words for renting are "location" or "louer". You can use the postcodes 38000 and 38100 to search for places in Grenoble, which is in the Auvergne Rhone Alpes region.

Rentals – ‘location’House- and flat- sharing – ‘colocation’
  • Cartedescolocs

Beware of possible scams. Never send money in advance from abroad!

Real estate agencies

It's typical for property owners to enlist estate agents to manage the rental of their properties. Please be aware that the ILL doesn't cover estate agency fees. If you opt for an apartment managed by an estate agency that charges a fee, you'll be responsible for paying it yourself. Nonetheless, the relocation consultants can still assist you in negotiating the lease, arranging utilities, and clarifying your tax responsibilities.


Keep in mind that many owners may ask for a French guarantor before renting to you. While the ILL can't be a guarantor, the relocation agencies may be able to negotiate and find other acceptable options.

 For example, there are two programmes that can substitute for a French guarantor if they are accepted by the owner:  VISALE (free of charge) and Guarantme (fee-based).  The relocation companies can assist you with the application process.

Guarantor programs

VISALE (free of charge)  -

Guarantme (annual fee) -


Initial inventory (the État des lieux)

It is standard practice to sign off on an inventory before receiving the keys to your new home, and to do the same when you leave.

Be very careful! Be sure to note on the inventory anything missing or in poor condition on your arrival. If you do not, you could be charged for it when you leave and the sum will be deducted from your deposit. You have two weeks from your date of entry to report any discrepancy to the owner or agency.


If you want to move out before the end of your lease, legally you must notify the owner or agency by registered letter with recorded delivery (lettre recommandée avec accusé de réception). For Grenoble and many of its surrounding areas, you are legally required to give at least a one month’s notice because it is designated as a high-pressure housing area. Farther away or in more rural areas, the requirement may be three months’ notice.  The notice period may be reduced under certain circumstances (loss or change of employment), but you would be required to provide an employer's certificate.

For more information

On designated high-pressure housing areas:



In addition to your monthly rent, there are fees required for various services associated with the building (maintenance, gardening, the lift, rubbish collection, caretaker, etc). The water and heating costs are also sometimes included in the rent.


Home Insurance

You will need to take out home rental insurance (assurance risques locatifs) covering fire and flood damage.


Buying property

Since the process of purchasing property differs from one country to the next, be sure to become familiar with the real estate market, but also the steps, procedures and professionals involved in purchasing property in France.

Generally, there are two stages in a contract of sale: the sale agreement (compromis de vente) and the deed of sale (acte de vente). Besides the cost of the house or flat, you will need to take in account additional costs such as agency fees (the majority of property sales involve estate agents), notary fees and taxes. Together, these can make up over 10% of the purchase price.

You may be able to obtain a loan from a bank or other credit agency. You can consult your bank or a courtier, or mortgage broker to shop for a loan and negotiate its terms.

We encourage employees to meet with the ILL Welfare Assistant and consult the CSE (Comité social et economique) to learn about current home buying programs and other resources or special rates that may be available for first time home-buyers and certain kinds of renovations.


For more information:

See the official site of the registered notaires for valuable information on buying and selling, financing, and researching real estate (in both French and English):

See the Housing/Tax System section of