Life in Grenoble
Grenoble is at the heart of the French Alps, only a few hours from Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Turin and Geneva. It's a dynamic city with a great deal to offer.
Its geographical position has made it a flourishing centre for winter and summer sports, and this, together with a rich cultural heritage, has attracted a rich mix of innovation and research, industrial facilities and universities.
Quite naturally, therefore, Grenoble has made a name for itself as a European pole of excellence in terms of technological, social and environmental innovation.
It's thus hardly surprising that you hear foreign languages on every cafe terrace and see mountain peaks at the end of every city street!
The ILL offers all you need to make the most of this exceptional urban setting.
Grenoble provides fast and easy access to the Chartreuse, Vercors and Belledonne ranges.
there are plenty of ways to get up to the slopes:
- Ski-Ligne: http://www.transaltitude.fr/
- the CEA ski club: http://www.asceast38.fr/comeol/page.php?id=128
you can explore the "Grandes Randonnées (GR)" walking routes, join a hiking club, or ask for suggestions in the tourist information centres:
- the long-distance "GR" trails (Grandes Randonnées) : http://www.gr-infos.com/ ; http://www.vercors-gtv.com/les-sentiers-de-grande-randonnee-gr.html
- Other hikes: http://www.grenoble-montagne.com/category/activites/randonnee-pedestre/
- Urban walking: http://www.lametro.fr/315-sentiers-grenoble.htm
And there's plenty of other activities, with something for everyone
(gymnastics, zumba, yoga, swimming, salsa, bachata, volleyball, football, basketball, cycling,…):
The Rhône-Alpes region is a major producer of local produce (wine, cheese and other regional specialities).
This is a great opportunity to make the most of French gastronomy!