College Secretary: Orsolya Czakkel
Focus Group College Secretary : Samantha MICCIULLA
Mailing list: coll9int_l(at)ill.eu
College 9 concerns the structure and dynamics of soft-condensed matter. It is hard to imagine life without polymers, colloids or amphiphiles. Although they are common materials, much research still goes on into their structures and behaviour at the microscopic level. As neutrons are scattered at the atomic cores, they are sensitive to different isotopes. A large difference in scattering contrast e. g. exists between hydrogen and deuterium. Modern chemisty allows or a tailor-made synthesis of soft matter molecules being partially or completely deuterated. Using an appropriate hydrogenated or deuterated solvent or a mixture of the both, contast variation has been proven to be a powerful method to elucidate structures of soft matter on a nanometer scale as well as to observe the subtlest of mechanisms in highly complex substances.
The main instruments used for College 9 proposals are:
- Reflectometers: D17, FIGARO, SUPERADAM
- Small momentum transfer diffractometer: D16
- SANS spectrometers: D11, D22
- Diffractometers: D19, D20
- Time-of-flight spectrometers: IN5, SHARP
- Diffuse scattering polarization analysis spectrometer: D7
- High-Resolution Backscattering Spectrometers: IN13, IN16
- Spin-Echo Spectrometers: IN15, WASP
If you want to come to the ILL and give a seminar, please contact Orsolya CZAKKEL
Travel and expenses for your stay may be reimbursed. Do not hesitate to contact her if you are coming for an experiment in Grenoble (ILL, ESRF, EMBL, CEA, CNRS, ...).
- 9-10 Colloidal systems: micelles, microemulsions, amphiphilic aggregates, surfactant systems, organic and inorganic colloidal particle systems
- 9-11 Polymeric systems: solutions, melt, polyelectrolyte, blends, co-polymers, elastomers, gels, networks, liquid crystal
- 9-12 Mixed systems: organic or inorganic particles with surfactants, particles with polyelectrolytes or polymers, surfactants and polymers,...
- 9-13 Soft matter physics with bio-related molecules