Close This Window

Please download official ILL logos here


For using on the web or on a screenFor printing in high resolutionWhite version, for dark backgrounds

Download PNG

Download AI

Download white PNG

Download JPG


Download white AI


The ILL is dedicated to helping its visiting researchers to make the most of its facilities. Neutron beams and instrument access are provided free of charge for proposers of accepted experiments.

Back to ILL Homepage
English French Deutsch 

Applying for beamtime

User Club

The ILL User Club provides online access to all the information and administrative tools for our scientific visitors, presented in a user friendly environment.

Collaborative Research Groups' instruments

The ILL provides a framework in which Collaborating Research Groups (CRGs) can build and manage instruments on ILL beamlines to carry out their own research programmes. The CRGs provide scientific and technical support and cover the general operating costs of these instruments. In response to the scientific demands of the user community, and subject to the available resources for operation, the beamtime reserved for ILL can be made accessible to users via the subcommittees.

There are currently three different categories of CRG instruments.

  • CRG-A category, in which the external group leases an instrument owned by ILL. They have 50% of the beam time at their disposal and for the remaining 50% they support ILL's scientific user programme.

  • CRG-B category owns their instrument and retains 70% of the available beam time, supporting the ILL programme for the other 30%.

  • CRG-C category's instruments are used full time for specific research programmes by the external group, which has exclusive use of the beam.


Ten CRGs are currently in operation.


Intrument name

Instrument type Partners CRG Type
SuperADAM Reflectometer University of Bochum B
BRISP Brillouin Spectrometer INFM Italy/ TU Chemnitz B
D1B Powder Diffractometer CNRS Grenoble/CSIC Spain A
D23 2-axis diffractometer CEA Grenoble/ FZ Jülich B
IN12 3-axis spectrometer FZ Jülich/CEA Grenoble B
IN13 Backscattering spectrometer UJF Grenoble/ INFM/CNRS/CEA A
IN22 3-axis spectrometer CEA Grenoble/ FZ Jülich B
S18 Interferometer Atominstitut, Vienna B

<< back