Close This Window

Please download official ILL logos here


For using on the web or on a screenFor printing in high resolutionWhite version, for dark backgrounds

Download PNG

Download AI

Download white PNG

Download JPG


Download white AI

CRG instruments

While the ILL's neutron source has remained essentially unchanged during the lifetime of the Institute, the ILL's instruments and their components have been continually developed and improved to increase their effectiveness.

Back to ILL Homepage
English French Deutsch 

Instruments & groups

Collaborative Research Group instruments

The ILL provides a framework in which Collaborating Research Groups (CRGs) can build and manage instruments on ILL beamlines to carry out their own research programmes. CRGs represent a particularly successful form of long-term international scientific collaboration.

CRGs are composed of scientists from one or two research disciplines, and often multinational, carrying out a joint research programme centred around a specific instrument. CRGs build and manage their own private instruments on ILL beamlines to carry out their own research programmes. They enjoy exclusive access to these instruments for at least half of the beamtime available.

The CRGs provide their own scientific and technical support and cover the general operating costs of these instruments. If there is demand from the user community and the resources are available, the beamtime reserved for ILL can be made accessible to users via the subcommittees.

There are currently three different categories of CRG instrument.

  • CRG-A category: the external group leases an instrument owned by ILL. They have access to 50% of the beamtime; for the remaining 50% the instrument is made available for the ILL's scientific user programme.
  • CRG-B category: the external group owns its instrument and retains 70% of the available beamtime, supporting the ILL programme for the other 30%.
  • CRG-C category: the instrument is used full time for specific research programmes by the external group, which has exclusive use of the beam.

Nine CRGs are currently in operation:

Intrument name Instrument typePartners CRGType
SuperADAMReflectometerUniversity of UppsalaB
BRISPBrillouin spectrometerCNR-Italy/ Philipps-Universität Marburg B
D1BPowder diffractometerCNRS Grenoble/CSIC SpainA
D232-axis diffractometerCEA Grenoble/ FZ JülichB
IN123-axis spectrometer FZ Jülich/CEAB
IN13Backscattering spectrometerUJF Grenoble/CNR-Italy/CNRS/CEAA
IN223-axis spectrometer CEA Grenoble/ FZ JülichB
S18Interferometer Atominstitut, ViennaB
IN6-SharpSpectrometerLaboratoire Léon Brillouin (UMR 12 CEA/CNRS), SaclayA