D3 - The Spin Polarised Hot Neutron Beam Facility
It is a very versatile diffractometer for magnetic structure analysis. It offers several set-ups:
- a high field set-up for 1D polarimetry up to 10 Tesla ;
- a zero-field set-up for spherical neutron polarimetry with CRYOPAD ;
- a non-polarized set-up for experiments requiring both short wavelengths and high magnetic fields.
Recently a "liquids setup has been added, to use the polarised neutrons to measure separately (and subtract) the spin-incoherent background.
High field configuration
- Magnetic form factors (reflecting the state of the magnetic ions);
- Non-collinear magnetic structures ;
Antiferromagnetic form factors ;
- Separation of coherent and spin-incoherent scattering in hydrogenous liquids
Non-polarized beam with high magnetic field
The high-field option implement a 10 Tesla cryomagnet.
The low-field option implement a third-generation CRYOPAD (CRYOgenic Polarisation Analysis Device) for precision measurement of neutron spin rotations occurring in the scattering process.