The Industry Liaison Unit (ILU) is the point of contact for industry looking to use the ILL's suite of instruments for proprietary research. The unit may initiate dedicated partnerships for technological R&D with consortia involving academic and industrial partners. In 2016 the ILU dealt with an extremely varied workload, due to the launch of operations on the new industrial instrument D50.The ILL's strain imager SALSA is also available to ILU on a part-time basis.
- The study of surfaces and buried interfaces of thin solid films and multilayers.
- Characterization of super-mirrors for neutron guides.
- 2D and 3D neutron imaging with a field of view of up to 170x170 mm2, and real pixel resolution of 10 microns.
- Complementary 2D and 3D X-ray imaging with a field of view of 250x300 mm2, and real pixel resolution of 5 microns.
- Neutron irradiation for Single Event Effects (SEE) on electronic components.
- Materials properties and behaviour; Nuclear industry; Automotive components; Aeronautical parts; Terrestrial transport applications; Civil engineering; Nanotechnology; Metal and ceramic coatings; Surface Processing; Marine transport; Construction materials; Fatigue analysis
- Metal Matrix Composites; Nickel base superalloys; Steels; Ceramics; Aluminium and Magnesium alloys; Titanium technology; Novel materials; Shape memory alloys